Sunday, July 29, 2018

This is a long read but most interesting.

This is a long read but most interesting. Sharing here with my U2U friends. Emojis - love them or hate them, you might be interested in how they began and who approves new emojis for our devices.

Source: Dictionary.com

Originally shared by Sheila Hensley

I really dislike Emojis. I prefer real words.
Then I stumbled upon the Unicode Consortium. There is much more to emoji history and purpose than I realized.
Now I'm fascinated. Not that I'll use them any more than I do now but it's really nice to understand how/why emojis started and who decides which new emojis will be added to our devices each year. Pretty cool, really. See what you think.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/love-adding-emoji-dictionary/

5 comments:

  1. It's an interesting read. Thanks for sharing it Sheila Hensley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised that the author did not mention our practice in the early days of creating our own by using keyboard strokes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe they don't consider those emojis LowellAnn Fuglsang. I don't mind those. It's the ones I have to look up because it's not clear what they mean that bother me. I sent a kiss to one of my students last week because I hit the wrong smiley face. He sent a text to ask if I'd just sent him a kiss. So embarrassing. My fault for not paying attention but I was horrified.

    ReplyDelete